Monday, January 14, 2008

Monday night dinner: Leftovers, kind of


I got home fairly late this evening and didn't have much time to cook. I had initially planned to sautee up our kale/chard, microwave some frozen chicken tenderloins in marinara sauce (I see your skepticism, but they turn out really well and it's SO fast) and prepare some kind of grain to finish it up. Instead, I noticed that we had some leftover coconut milk-poached chicken (yum/yay!) and already-steamed sweet potato cubes (leftover from Sunday's waffles). Sounds good to me!

So I went ahead with the chard: washed thoroughly and then chopped roughly, thrown into a pan with a little bit of olive oil, salt, pepper, a few dashes of lemon juice and a teaspoon or so of crushed garlic (a tip: I hate cleaning out our garlic press, so every month or so I will do several whole heads of garlic, and store the crushed garlic in a glass jar in the fridge. It seems to sweeten and mellow over time, but I'm cool with that. I have also considered freezing it in little cubes, like you can buy in the store - I just haven't found a suitable tray yet!) Sauteed over medium heat, the chard cooks down in under 10 minutes. I usually put the ribs in first and let them soften up for a minute or two before I put in the leaves.

The sweet potato got a heavy dusting of cinnamon and a few minutes in the microwave to warm up, as did the chicken - and that is how I made dinner AND cleared out the fridge in 15 minutes. Not too shabby. :)

No comments: